Monday, June 8, 2009

Monsters of the Midway

Race: Monsters of the Midway
Length: 1.1 Miles (40 Minutes +2 Laps)
Catagory: 3
Description: Massive backstretch headwind, 4 90 degree corners, long straightaways, short short chutes, good pavement, one dip in the pavement along the backstretch.

Monsters of the Midway is a well established race around the University of Chicago campus but this one had just a little bit more meaning than other races I will participate in this season. Why? It's my fiancee's school - so I better either do well - or not even show up.


Mailman did the race with me, which is always fun. He raced just before me in the Cat 4 race and placed a very respectable 11th in a massive field. The guy has a ton of talent and will be an unbelievable Little 5 rider next year - could even break all the fraternity records I own.

We lined up to take off for my race and noticed an ambulance jumping on the course. Apparently there was a massive crash on the backstretch during the Cat 4's last lap and someone seriously needed tended to. I decided to just keep my legs warm and ride around near the start/finish line as I figured it would take a few minutes to sort it all out. And time kept passing...it seemed like 20 minutes before we actually took off. I started from the back as I was keeping warm and hung around there all day. One of the things spectators may not notice is that the riders really never know how far back in the field they are rather just how forward they are. I felt like I was in the middle-front of the race all day as I could easily eye the front of the pack and make a move to jump around if needed. Afterwards though, I was told I was in the back of the field all day. I suppose its tough to turn around and see the amount of people behind you when racing in a pack. From a spectators point of view, I think there's a common awe about how close riders race towards each other in extremely large packs at extremely high speeds. But it reality its pretty similar to driving - you look at the guy in front of you and the guys to your sides and stay in your imaginary lane and thats all you care about, not knowing in the slightest who or how many guys are behind you.

But anyways - the race went on as a usual large criterium would. Breakaway attempts were quickly sucked up and everyone would wait for a field sprint. The course was pretty solid. Pretty good pavement, only one dip that would throw you off your seat at times, and very large riding lanes.

The last lap of the race came so I zipped around the field to get position into turn one. I got my position and as soon we entered turn 1, 2 guys in front of me hit the deck going around the turn. It appeared that there bikes slid out from under them. I stayed up having cleared them by more a margin than some of my previously avoided wrecks and found myself and two others exiting turn 2 with about a 5-10 meter gap. I was 3rd wheel and wanted with all my heart to attack then and there with .75 miles to go. But today I held back. The headwind was far too much to handle on this day, 20mph directly into your face on the backstretch - no way I'd make it. So I stayed put and the rest of the field caught up. I stayed well positioned exiting turns 3 and 4 and started to wind up. As soon as I exited turn 4 I started my sprint. There were several guys in front of me and a whole pack behind me. One guy had gotten away at the tail end of the backstretch as was assured a win. Another guy zipped by me on the right side near the line and I held on after passing a few in front for 4th place again. Another solid finish that paid out twenty bucks. Another race, another solid result. The last two races were technically the best results I'd had ever gotten as they were top 5 Cat 3 results - something I hadn't done in the past.

Next weekend was the Indy 500. I had to miss out on some unbelievable racing in Iowa, but no way I'm missing the 500.

Next Race: May 31, Wonder Lake Criterium

No comments:

Post a Comment