Monday, December 17, 2012

Montrose Harbor CX

Montrose Harbor CX Race
12/2/2012
Cat 3

So...I knew I was going to suck...this was my first race in over two years, I hadn't trained, I've never done a cross race, I was going up against people who have been flying all year, I was going to start in the back, (insert classic cycling excuse here), and it's the state championships. 

But I wasn't here to win, I was here for fun and the experience, a complete attitude departure from years past.  Maybe the attitude stems from some combination of loving the sport and needing to come back to it and needing to carry a certain level of humility as it's certain that living up to the expectations of years past were far out of the question.  So maybe thats why I have to just have 'fun' with it, having any other attitude would prevent me from ever racing again. 

But maybe I just simply want to enjoy racing for racing...and thats why the casual fun-loving Cross scene is a perfect match. 

The race itself was rather uneventful for me.  It set off with me in the back and it ended with me in the back.  I had brief moments of feeling good passing people in the sand, but far far more moments of learning experience after learning experience.  But in the end it was fun and I was back racing. 

Several takeaways before attempting my next race:
1) Learn how to jump on your bike faster - this isn't Little 5, just get on it.
2) Learn how to hit your pedals quicker
3) Adjust your gearing, you can't have your bike skipping all day again...

And need to improve on...
1) Sand...
2) Bike handling...big time.

No comments:

Post a Comment