Thursday, July 2, 2009

Soldier Field Cycling #2

So it finally happened...

I crashed.

Dozens of races and even more near misses; I had always found a way to stay rubber side down. Today was different.

I came into the Soldier Field Criterium skeptical of the course as its in a parking lot and rumors swirled of a pothole-filled turns. It had rained most of the morning and the course was still moist, but nothing serious, so I decided to sign up and give the 1/2/3 race a whirl.

I rode the course hard in the pre-race and it was beyond managable, nothing too difficult. If a turn was too tight entering, it had plenty of space on the exit to make up for any worries. It wasn't a 4 square typical crit course, rather resembled more of the letter 'C' riding around the outside of the letter. Anyways, I had several teammates in the race with me and we decided to send waves of attacks at the field in hopes of having one stick.

So the race kicked off, my first 1/2/3 race, my first race back after California, and my first race after the dreaded Spring Prairie failure...and I felt awesome. We sent a few guys out on attacks and they were brought back within a lap or so each time. I noticed some people had already been dropped, but the pace wasn't difficult by any stretch, my training ride with Matt Neibler and Drew Kushnick the night before was infinitely harder. Lap 10 of around 55 came around and I felt great. An attack launched on the front stretch containing about 3 guys. I was up front, felt great, no teammates were represented in the attack, so I decided to do my share. I went with the break. I caught the break. I entered turn 2 just as I had entered turn 2 nine times before...

And I'm down.

My wheel had slid out from under me. My carbon pedals ignited sparks as I slid through the exit of the turn similar to how you would see an IndyCar wreck at Indianapolis, but in this case, the left side of my body was on the ground sliding out, not the underside of a car.

First thoughts:
1) "The pack's coming! Get the bike out of the way!"
2) "Is my bike ok? Did I break my collarbone? Is everything still in its place?"
3) "There goes the pack, I think I can still get in this race! Handlebar looks busted..."

Quick Bike Scan: I get up and think about rejoining the pack, look down and quickly recognize my handlebars look bent. Who knows what else could be broken...FAIL

Quick Body Scan: I hear the medical staff yelling asking me "Are you alright?!"...I'm numb at the moment with adrenaline...so I ask them.

I check the collarbone area and feel some slight soreness, but its certainly in the muscle on the front of my shoulder so I'm safe there. I look at and literally feel all of my joints and limbs as I still can't really feel anything yet (though I know its coming - this is around 10-15 seconds after the crash, just as the pack passed) and luckily everything's still in its place. No medical bills or time will be wasted at a hospital! Just simply a painful shower following: PASS

Full Bike Scan: I take a full look at the bike and the only thing glaring is the bent shifter and some severely torn handlebar tape. I spun the wheels in an effort to diagnose if I had bent a $1000 rim, and both spun true, thank god. After sitting down for about 30 seconds, I jumped back on the bike, shifted around, put a little effort into the pedals, and everything checked out fine. I was able to physically move the shifter back into its place and the bike looks good as new, hardly a scratch on the $4000 carbon frame. MASSIVE PASS

I always knew that I was going to crash at some point or another, and knew that I didn't have quite the backup plan if either those scans failed, but luckily my bike and I live to fight another day. It's the risk of bike racing and I think all the riders in that race gladly accepted it...we're racing in a parking lot with wet pavement for god's sake!

I felt far less disappointed with the Soldier Field Crit than Spring Prairie for one outstanding reason: I felt amazing. I could see myself winning in a 1/2/3 race. I was hanging on for dear life in the 3's at Spring Prairie, but was in a break with the 1/2/3's at Soldier Field. That's promising. If I had felt terrible and crashed out, that might be my breaking point in cycling, but I felt awesome and it has renewed my energy towards the sport. I didn't think that would be the takeaway after my first crash.

I met some nice people after the crash. Talked to two people who knew Christian VandeVelde in high school and even rode with him in his hometown of Lemont, they said he wanted to be a golfer at the time. Very cool. Also met someone named Carter on the ride home. He did triathlons and looked like a pretty decent athlete. He stated he may be interested in bike racing but was worried about crashing...I think my hands dripping of blood and my white underarmor and bibs now stained red my have deterred him no matter how hard I endorsed it...

Anyways, I'm fine, the bike's fine, and we're going to be riding today down lakeshore trail, just laced with some scratches and bruises for a change. In terms of my next race, I'm debating about the UWW road race this Saturday. It would be good training if nothing else. So, we'll see. It just means it'll be tough to watch THE START OF THE TDF! I'm pumped.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment