Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Superweek - Elgin Cycling Classic

Date: 7/12/2009
Where: Elgin, Illinois
What: Elgin Cycling Classic (50 mile road race)
Course: Gorgeous course, a few big ring climbs, negotiable turns, one 180 degree turn

The race started and I positioned myself up front as immediately a 180 degree turn occurred where Katie and I saw several riders take spills in previous races (one of the reasons I stayed up front). Surprisingly, the turn wasn't difficult at all, but seeing as the race split up within one lap of it starting, I'd argue being in the back exiting that turn must have buried some guys who had to deal with the accordion effect.

There were a few long straights, a few long fast descents, and 2 decent big ring climbs and I felt great, scratch that, amazing the entire time. An attack shot off comprised of about 5 guys and one of ours was in it. Again, this reduced my role to helping let the breakaway last.

Lap goes by.

Lap goes by.

Unorganized chase occurs.

Nothing happens.

Last lap.

Wait, who's that up the road? F#$&! It's our guy! He popped and got dropped from the break. The speed at which we passed him and another dropped rider was like passing a cyclist in a car. All of the sudden xXx and a few other cyclists made their way to the front and started hammering, but it was too late and within a few short minutes of effort, the pack destined itself with a sprint for 4th. I positioned myself near the front, but this effort was crazy. Everyone was trying to outposition the field and by the time you found your spot, someone else was whizzing by, dropping your slot back. I found a spot about 7th wheel back entering the last sequence of turns. Negotiated the first well, maintain speed. Negotiated the second well, maintain speed. Negotiated the thi....my wheel slips, I catch.

At this point I'm going 25 miles an hour. I can either try my best to turn...thought over. BAM! Curb. Down.

The bike was fine. My arm and wrist really hurt, but they were fine. It just sucked again, because I was set up very well for a good run at another top 10 finish and lost it. Oh well. There are bigger fish to fry.

No comments:

Post a Comment