Monday, June 22, 2015

Midweek Racing out East

Two track cycling events were held midweek - a Pro-Am at Trexlertown and the Summer Solstice track event held at the Wall Velodrome in New Jersey not terribly far from where I was staying. The Pro-Am had just about the same level of competition as the weekend races as many riders who flew in internationally for the week (who had probably nothing else to do during the week in TTown) showed up for a little track racing on Tuesday night. The night went relatively well as I placed 4th, 5th, and 7th in the three races I did. But the most fun I had was on the last race of the night which was a 50 lap Madison. I was able to find a partner and had a blast using the banking to get up to speed quickly and sling him in and out. We didn't do super well, but it was good experience.

On Wednesday I traveled down to the Wall Velodrome to check out another track. It's short-track auto racing track that certainly has its drawbacks for cyclists, but is otherwise a fine venue for a spot race here or there. I won all the races during the evening and had a good time sitting in the stands watching the other races with Katie and Rick (her Uncle). It was nice to also remember that you're not terrible at this sport after the challenges that racing with some of the best guys internationally pose. Fun time and they even gave me some martini glasses for winning! Worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment