Saturday, June 13, 2015

Fastest Man on Wheels

Tonight was another big Class 2 UCI event in Trexlertown called the "Fastest Man on Wheels". Katie and I made the drive out from Chicago on Thursday, stayed in Penn State in a surprisingly nice hotel from hotwire, and finished the drive out Friday morning.

It was blazing hot during the day and just before the race the heavens opened and a nice lightning storm hit. The track in TTown, unlike the track in Northbrook, dries up in about 30 minutes which was incredible. Racing started only a few minutes behind schedule.

The main event for the night was the 24km (72 lap) UCI Points Race with sprints every 6 laps. I put on a 49x13 and it was butter for the event (thanks to Marcus at YoJimbos for letting me borrow). I tried to conserve energy and I think it was for the best as I was fairly cross-eyed by the end of the race. However, I made the breakaway move of about 9 riders that stayed away until the end. I sprinted when I was in good position and let the points go when I was out of position. I finished the race good enough for 9th which means I scored a few UCI and NTC points. I also grabbed a 6th and 7th in the Super Sprint Elimination and the 5km Scratch Race at the end of the night.

Good night of racing and looking forward to spending the day in Philadelphia today with Katie walking around and sweating it out in the 90 degree heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment